Heritage Christian School offers the following athletic programs for our students:
Our golf program is led by Coach Todd Bentzel, who is entering his 6th year of coaching, all at Heritage Christian School. Beginning in 2013, Coach Bentzel set goals to build a golf program that would translate into success, both on and off the course. From 2015-2017, Heritage Christian School’s golf team amassed a record of 31 wins and 18 losses and sent a qualifier to the District Tournament in 2016 and 2017. Coach Bentzel stresses the “3G Program” where priorities must be as follows:
- God – Honor God with your thoughts, words, and actions
- Grades – Make academics a priority
- Golf – Learn the game and respect the life lessons it teaches
The vast majority of our golfers who play at Heritage Christian School join the program with little or no experience playing the game. Our program teaches fundamentals such as stance, grip, and swing, along with core elements of the game such as honesty, sportsmanship, and integrity.
The 2019 HCS Golf Club featured five instructional sessions at Clearview Golf Course, 8410 Lincoln St. S.E., East Canton. Former LPGA player and Hall of Famer, Renee Powell and Coach Bentzel worked together teaching our students.
Both our boys and girls basketball teams are coached by Jamey McKenzie II (Coach Mac), who is entering his 21st year of coaching. His coaching career includes stops at Fairless, Tuslaw, Canton South, Perry, and Heritage Christian. Coach Mac brings a wealth of knowledge and experience to our program. He has been part of several league championship teams and has coached or played on Division II and III championship teams. Entering his 4th season coaching at Heritage Christian, Coach Mac has been instrumental in bringing much success to our program. In addition to winning tournament games in different seasons, his 2017-2018 team posted the school’s best record since 2009.
- Boys Basketball- Students in grades 4-7 are eligible. At this level, skill work, terminology, fundamentals, and team work are the emphasis. This past season, the program included 10 boys who played in the Massillon League against 5th-6th grade competition. The Conquerors showed great improvement as the season progressed, and won their first tournament game.
- Girls Basketball- Students in grades 4-7 are eligible. Like the boys’ program, Coach Mac teaches the girls terminology, fundamentals, and team work. This past season, 15 girls participated. Although the girls did not play in a league, they did show great improvement as they gained valuable experience.
- 2019-2020 Season- The season will begin in early November 2019. Coach Mac is working on a schedule for both the boys and girls teams which will include opponents from various Christian school middle schools in Stark and surrounding counties.
Partial 2019-2020 basketball schedule (home games are capitalized):
BOYS BASKETBALL GAME SCHEDULE
- November 26 @ 5:30 P.M. @ Faith Christian Academy
- December 9 @ 4:30 P.M. @ Massillon Christian
- December 16 @ 5:30 P.M.@ Kingsway Christian
- December 19 @ 5:30 P.M. @ Faith Christian Academy
- January 6 @ 6:00 P.M. @ Medina Christian
- January 14 @ 5:30 P.M. @ Kingsway Christian
- January 16 @ 5:30 P.M. @ Wooster Christian
- January 20 @ 6:30 P.M. @ Coshocton Christian
- January 27 @ 5:30 P.M. @ Massillon Christian
- February 6 @ 5:30 P.M. @ Massillon Christian
GIRLS BASKETBALL GAME SCHEDULE
- November 25 @ TBD CANTON SOUTH (Scrimmage) @ HCS
- December 11 @ 4:00 P.M. LAKE CENTER CHRISTIAN (Scrimmage) @ HCS
- January 6 @ 5:00 P.M. @ Medina Christian
- January 16 @ 4:30 P.M. @ Wooster Christian
- January 20 @ 5:30 P.M. @ Coshocton Christian
- January 27 @ 4:30 P.M. @ Massillon Christian
- February 6 @ 4:30 P.M @ Massillon Christian
Coach Mac also plans to soon announce an off season workout schedule which will begin the week of April 22-26.
Coach Mark Meager heads up the Heritage Christian School bowling team.
Bowling is open to HCS boys and girls in grades 3-7. League games will be held at AMF Hall of Fame Lanes, 5155 Tuscarawas St. West Canton on the following dates:
- April 2, 2019 @ 4:30 pm
- April 9, 2019 @ 4:30 pm
- April 16, 2019 @ 4:30 pm
- April 23, 2019 @ 4:30 pm
- April 30, 2019 @ 4:30 pm
Parents are responsible for their child’s transportation.
Cost is covered by activity fees. Therefore participation is contingent upon payment of 75% or more of activity fee.
GIRLS ON THE RUN
Coaches Karen Morrish and KiOnna Meager lead Heritage Christian School’s edition of Girls on the Run. Open to girls in grades 3-7, Girls on the Run is a program that inspires girls of all backgrounds to come together to be joyful, healthy, and confident. The girls participate in a 12 week program which combines fun and an experience-based curriculum that integrates running. The program is designed to increase confidence with a new outlook on teamwork, friendship, health, and positivity towards themselves and others.
The spring season runs from February 25- May 18 with the following schedule:
- Mondays 3:30-5:00 pm
- Wednesdays 3:30-5:00 pm
- Saturday, May 18- 5k Run @ Walsh University